Sunday, June 03, 2007

Snakes Snakes and more Snakes!!

Last month I went to Dolan's Lake to see if any geese or ducks were there but didn't find any. What I did find was a ton of SNAKES! Everywhere I looked there were snakes. They were in the water, out of the water and in the trees! It was kinda scary after I realized they were all around me ...... eeeeeek! I took some shots and made a quick exit :o)

UPDATE: These snakes have been identified as Midland Water Snakes (Nerodia sipedon pleuralis) Thanks everyone for the emails and helping me with the identification!








4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very, very nice photographs. Those do indeed look like midland watersnakes. Somebody on one of the flickr pages mentioned they may be diamondback watersnakes - and I'm pretty sure they are not. I know the diamondback watersnakes quite well, and these are a bit off. Midland is a good bet.

I do love the Nerodia watersnakes. Among my very favorites! And you've really got terrific photos here - - which isn't always very easy with watersnakes! I spend a good deal of time negotiating them down here in Florida...

~ janson
http://floridana.typepad.com/weblog/

Marty said...

Again, I can't name the sub-species but these are some great shots of watersnakes. You sound just like my wife - she hates snakes, but is willing to stop and get some cool shots of them before she backs off with the heebie-jeebies.

Anonymous said...

Ugh - I couldn't be paid enough to
visit Dolan's Lake... You're a brave woman.

Michael said...

Beautiful snakes!

Thanks for sharing.